Thursday, August 16, 2007

Proton Persona

Proton Persona



"It's just a Gen2.. with a sedan body."

Honestly, if I was the designer, I would be very offended. I spent hours trying to come out with a design for the new Proton model (I'm putting myself in the designer's shoes here) and the comment I got was "It's just a Gen2". Like, hello?! Can't you appreciate the efforts that went into that car?

Ok.. stepping out of the designer's shoes..

I got my first good look at the Proton Persona today. Glimpsed one last night and I thought it was a Waja. So.. Hello!?!? Can't you come out with a better design? Something different? It's supposed to be a new model, not just an amended version of the Gen2! Something original, please?

If you're offended, I'm disappointed. Surely you could come out with a design that's unique, beautiful, has a lot of appeal to the public and at par with the new car models in the market? I was expecting something grand, with all the hype given prior to the launch.. but what can I say.. I'm so disappointed.

Hey, what's this I heard about the international model for Persona is much better than the local one? Do I see a double-standard here? How unfair! But then, this is nothing new. As with the Wira model, it's international version is not quite the same as it's local counterpart. Perdana as well, if I'm not mistaken. I don't quite understand the reasons behind this. Are we, the locals, getting sub-international standards for our model? Why can't we have the same model, be it for import or for local use? If a foreigner approached me and said, "I really like the new Proton car model, Persona.", should I asked him, "Oh, which one is that? Local one or international?"

I don't deny that Persona is a rather nice-looking car and it's another good effort by Proton. I just wish they came out with something more original. I'm not going to comment on the engine or power or performance etc. coz I'm not really into those things. I'm more of a what-I-can-see type of person. If a car looks nice, the chances of my buying it is certainly high. I'm sure there are a lot of people like me out there.

So, the one thing I want to know is.. what's holding those people in Proton from investing in a better car (in the overall sense)? Mold too expensive? Afraid the people will not be interested to buy? Well.. let me put it this way. If you manufacture a car which is value for money, has all the safety features installed, and really really great to look at, people would definitely want to have one.

I'm sure it's nothing new.



No comments: